[U-Boot-Users] Re: MIPS LE build problems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 10 12:18:53 CEST 2005

In message <1123665206.29961.31.camel at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:

> > Two - or one that can be called using different names (like the  ELDK
> > does).
>
> Different names?

Like that:

-> ls -l /opt/eldk/usr/bin/mips*gcc
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 81896 Mar  6 20:12 /opt/eldk/usr/bin/mips-linux-gcc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    14 Mar 12 19:28 /opt/eldk/usr/bin/mips_4KC-gcc -> mips-linux-gcc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    14 Mar 12 19:28 /opt/eldk/usr/bin/mips_4KCle-gcc -> mips-linux-gcc

> What about default endianness?

mips_4KC-gcc is big endian, mips_4KCle-gcc is little endian.

> This is in the mipsel-linux-gcc -dumpspecs:
> *multilib_defaults:
> EL mips1 mabi=32
>
> And in the mips-linux-gcc -dumpspecs:
> *multilib_defaults:
> EB mips1 mabi=32

The ELDK has

	*multilib_defaults:
	EB mips1 mabi=32

for both, but  mips_4KC-gcc  passes  -DMIPSEB  -D_MIPSEB  as  default
options while mips_4KCle-gcc passes -D_MIPSEL -D__MIPSEL -D__MIPSEL__
-DMIPSEL

> > Ummm... How is this handled in the Linux kernel?
>
> In .config:
> CONFIG_CPU_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
> or
> CONFIG_CPU_BIG_ENDIAN=y
>
> Actually, when you're building toolchains for MIPS with crosstool, the
> difference between the mipsel(EL) and mips(BE) is in kernel config file,
> which sets the endianness for the toolchain.

Seems completely the wrong way round to me... I don't want  a  random
kernel tree to determine if my tool chain is BE or LE. Grrghh..

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Anyone who isn't confused here doesn't really know what's going on.