[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot Developer's Information

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Wed Aug 17 12:31:48 CEST 2005

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <200508160831.44688.bwaite at irobot.com> you wrote:
> >
> > a per-patch basis, We shoud remind ourselves that the // was adopted as a
> > legal C comment when C99 was ratified. The // style comment can arguably be
>
> Nevertheless many existing toolchains throw warning messages,  and  I
> see no reason to drop support of these older compilers.
My experience is just the other way around:  the following
code throws an error for long long, but gives no warnings for //:

#define CFG_CMD_KGDB            0x00000200ULL   // kgdb

#if (CFG_CMD_KGDB)
#define LONG_LONG_WORKS 1
#endif

Compiled with gcc version 2.95.2, and 'gcc -Wall -pedantic'

As this is an excerpt from u-boot, I'm a bit surprised about
your reasoning against '//'.
It might be pretty hard to find a toolchain that compiles
u-boot but throws a warning on '//'.

 Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/