[U-Boot-Users] Software watchdog on mpc8247

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Thu Aug 25 16:40:11 CEST 2005

Mike Rapoport wrote:
> On 8/25/05, Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com> wrote:
>

>>Pointing out the obvious... looking at the disassembly, it isn't
>>enabling the watchdog (SWE).  I'm guessing that you disassembled code
>>where you had the watchdog disabled?
>

> The instruction
> fff031a0:       60 84 ff c3     ori     r4,r4,65479
> actually enables watchdog (65479 dec = ffc7 hex) and SWE is bit 29 of SYPCR.

Well... yes and no.  65479 == 0xFFC7 as you point out, however the
instruction has 0xFFC3 in it.  That's pretty odd.  Compiler problem?

>>I see you have PBME and LBME enabled (I'm looking at an 8260 manual,
>>assuming the 8247 is the same - feel free to correct me :-).  Do you
>>have a 60x bus and a local bus?  Is it possible you are having an
>>inadvertant bus error?  This wouldn't explain why it only happens when
>>you enable the WDT, however.  Puzzling.
>

> The 8247 does not have local bus, only 60x, but setting/clearing LBME
> does not affect the operation. If I don't enable the watchdog the
> system works fine.
>
> Another thing I've noticed, most or even all 8260 based systems have
> #undef CONFIG_WATCHDOG
> in their config

Well, they are a real pain, generally more than they are worth.  My
co-worker says we had it working on our 8260 board at one point, but
Things Changed and it stopped working (it was a never-ending battle to
sprinkle enough kick-the-dogs in the start up code) and so it ended up
turned off.  He said it worked fine once we got through initialization
and the was kernel running...

gvb