[U-Boot-Users] How to boot zImage in Flash memory?

Ladislav Michl ladis at linux-mips.org
Wed Aug 31 15:59:23 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:13:25PM +0800, Jarod Wang wrote:
> Hi all,

Please wrap lines before posting to this list next time.

> I tried to migrate u-boot-1.1.3 on my Samsung S3C44B0X based evaluation board and my target was booting uClinux with U-Boot.
> Several days ago I could see the serial port output and the user input prompt in minicom at last.
> Then I configured and compiled the uClinux-dist-20040408 on the Fedora Core 4 platform. As a result, I got an 826KB zImage binary file(As far as I know, the zImage consists of a Linux kernel image and a ramdisk image.)  in the uClinux-dist/images/ directory. I downloaded it into the Flash memory(Intel 28F320C3B) using a flash programmer application on the Windows XP platform. But I've tried to boot the zImage using "bootm" commands several times but all failed. U-Boot always prompted "Bad Magic Number" error. So I wonder how to boot zImage in Flash memory in my case.

That's because bootm loads _image_, so you have create one using mkimage
tool. (There is also go command to jump at given address)

> Besides, I still have some questions about the migration. For instance, I don't know the meaning of "CONFIG_BOOTFILE"  when I referred to include/configs/B2.h. And I don't know how to configure my "CONFIG_BOOTARGS" correctly. And the distinction between "CONFIG_BOOTARGS" and "Environment Variables" since I am not familiar with the booting of Linux.

CONFIG_BOOTFILE is compile time default for "bootfile" environment
variable. It is used as default when you, for example, run fsload
command without argument.
CONFIG_BOOTARGS is compile time default for "bootargs" environment
variable. You didn't read README, did you?

> Sorry for my poor English and any advice would be appreciated.

Reading available documentation would be appreciated as well :)

Best regards,
	ladis