[U-Boot-Users] Port U-Boot to SBC-2410X

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 31 17:19:11 CEST 2005

In message <20050831135322.M7728 at gd-linux.com> you wrote:

> SBC-2410X is a board based on SAMSUNG S3C2410 made by friendly-arm, which is
> similiar to smdk2410. Now, I succeed to port U-Boot to SBC-2410X.

Congrats.

> In addition to write the new hardware-specific configurations for SBC-2410X
> according to steps from U-Boot's README, I make U-Boot's nand subsystem work

Please note that a  complete  rewrite  of  the  NAND  code  has  been
discussed  several  times  before.  There  is  some  work in progress
(performed  by  Ladislav  Michl   <ladis at linux-mips.org>)   whic   is
available  in  the  "testing-NAND"  branch  of  the git repository at
source.denx.net.

It makes IMHO littel sense to add patches to  the  old  code.  Please
help improving / fixing the rewqrite instead.

> on SBC-2410X and add to hush cmdline-editing (but AUTO_COMPLETE cannot work to
> go with it yet).

Ummm.. why only  to  the  hush  shell  and  not  as  a  more  general
implementation for the simple command interpreter, too?

> I pick codes heavily borrowed from vivi bootloader and integrate them into
> U-Boot. Now, the hush can locate the history command and acts like xterm.

Acts like xterm? This makes zero sense  to  me.  An  xterm  does  not
provide  any  command  line  interface  at all. It is just a terminal
emulator in which you can run certain applications...

> I would like to pack the new board codes and nand subsystem fixes as one
> patch, while the cmdline-editing codes (in "common/main.c") is the other. Is
> this ok?

Make this 3 parts as required by the README: split unrelated  changes
into  separate  commits:  one for your new baord support, one for the
command line extension, and one (eventually) for  the  NAND  (if  you
still  want  to submit it, but chances that it will get accepted with
the old code are epsilon).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Genitiv ins Wasser, weil's Dativ ist!