[U-Boot-Users] NAND driver issue

Dave Ellis DGE at sixnetio.com
Mon Dec 12 17:02:05 CET 2005

December 10, 2005 Aubrey wrote:
> On 12/10/05, Dave Ellis <DGE at sixnetio.com> wrote:
> > I think the ECC code used to be broken unless
CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC_JFFS2
> > is set in your board config file.
> >
> The macro CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC_JFFS2 is there black and white in the
> file "common/cmd_nand.c". Should I add it again to my board config
> file?

It used to be commented out. I didn't realize it was fixed a long time
ago since somehow the fix didn't make it into my local copy. Sorry for
the noise.

> On the other hand, If I don't want to work on the JFFS2 system, the
> macro should be disabled. I mean this macro shouldn't affect the
> direct read/write operation of the nand driver.

It was broken when I worked on it (several years ago). The non-JFFS2
implementation conflicted with the bad block position set by the NAND
manufacturers, so I just made the JFFS2 option work. Richard Woodruff
fixed the conflict, but I don't think the present code will use the
ECC for non-JFFS2 since eccvalid_pos is -1.

I guess nobody cares, otherwise CONFIG_MTD_NAND_ECC_JFFS2 would be
defined in the config files, not in cmd_nand.c.

Anyhow, the ST NAND128W3 worked for me (with JFFS2 ECC) when I added
the ids to the header files.

Dave Ellis