[U-Boot-Users] How can I add a gdb-stub into U-boot-0.4.8 for AT91RM9200-DK ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Dec 15 17:21:16 CET 2005

In message <loom.20051215T125603-511 at post.gmane.org> you wrote:

> U-Boot 0.4.8 (Oct 13 2005 - 16:29:32)

Please use current code. Version 0.4.8 is so old that I really  don't
care any more about it.

> Uboot>tftp 23000000 zImage
> Uboot> tftp 20800000 ramdisk.image.gz
> Uboot> go 23000000

Please read the documentation. This is not the correct and  supported
way to boot Linux.

>   As I understand it, there can run a small 'gdb-stub' on the target which talks
> by serial line or by ethernet with the gdb on the development host.
>   In common/kgdb.c there seems to be something like this small 'gdb-stub'?

Right.

> Does it work for ARM? How can it be used?"

It does work, but requires you to add the missing cpu/*/kgdb.S file.

> *********My question is:If I want to add a debugging stub(at91rm9200dk-stub.c or
> gdbserver)into u-boot-0.4.8,how to do it? Isn't it a difficult task? ************

Don;t add anything to U-Boot 0.4.8. Dump it. Use current code.

And no, this is not a difficult task, just a somewhat laborious task.

> 2.4.19-rmk7 (root at localhost.localdomain) (gcc version 2.95.3 20015CPU:

This is also ancient code. Forget it. You will not receive much  help
for this.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Every time history repeats itself the price goes up.