[U-Boot-Users] Debugging U-Boot using BDI2000

"Häpe, Sebastian, HRD/AB" sebastian.haepe at eads.com
Mon Feb 7 09:04:29 CET 2005

Hi!

I have a little problem with debugging when using a BDI2000 JTAG-debugger.

Currently I try to port U-Boot to a self-designed board, based on an PPC
603e-processor.
When I start U-Boot from Flash-memory using the BDI2000 it is impossible to
set any software-breakpoints, this means I _can_ set the breakpoints, but
when I start the code, the debugger does not stop there.
It is the same with the hardware-breakpoints. Here the steps i did:

My Flash-memory starts at Address 0xff800000 and there I load the U-Boot
image.
Then I tell the BDI2000 via the 'TI 0xff800100' command to start U-Boot.
After that step the PC stands at 0xff800104 and I start the GDB and connect
to the BDI using the command 'target remote bdi:2001'.
If after that I set a breakpoint at address 0xff800148 (sync-command) with
'BI 0xff800148' the BDI says:
'Breakpoint identification 0'.
Calling the 'continue'-command in GDB results in an error like that:
'Cannot insert breakpoint -2.'
'Error accessing memory address 0xff800100: Unknown error 4294967295'

Does anyone have experiences in BDI2000-debugging and can tell me how he/she
solved the breakpoint-problems?

Thanks,
Sebastian Häpe