[U-Boot-Users] My first embedded project

Benjamin D Boicourt bdboicourt at raytheon.com
Thu Feb 10 23:51:09 CET 2005

Hi,
I'm new to the world of embedded linux and have a few questions.

First some back ground on my current project.  I am the software guy on an
embedded firmware project.  We are using a Virtex II Pro P50 with one
PowerPC 405 core.  We will have 512MB Compactflash and 64MB SRAM.  We want
to use U-boot and the latest kernel of linux as our bootlaoder and OS.  The
firmware package that will be running on the OS will be C/C++ programs.

1.  Is there a way to use U-boot without an EEPROM.  Can we use U-boot with
its environmental variables on the Compactflash card?

2.  Is there a doc that details the boot processes of the boot loader and
the linux kernel?

3.  Is there a doc detailing the process of downloading, configuring and
porting an open source kernel to the VII Pro?

I greatly appreciate any help.
Thank you very much,
Ben