[U-Boot-Users] decrease boot time

Konstantin Kletschke lists at ku-gbr.de
Fri Feb 11 23:30:35 CET 2005

Hi Folks!

I am trying to improve boot time of my linux system on my motorola i.MX
system as much as possible. Therefore I tried to omit the copying and
decompressing the linux kernel image ba using XIP, but the code runs
slower in the (slower) flash and boot time increased.

I wonder how to make use of sync burst mode with u-boot in conjunction
eith linux. Today I switched on CFG_CMD_CACHE (I use u-boot-1.1.1) but I
wonder if u-boot knows that it should cache the area above 0x10000000.

Hm... I think the way the linux kernel starts itself is not making use
of any implementation of burst mode of the flash device. It copies a
small amount of bytes and decompresses them.
Could it be possible to make use of burst mode by copying the compressed
image into RAM by u-boot (i.e. bursting) and start the kernel in RAM
then? The decompressing and copying would be faster then...

How do I disable serial support in u-boot? My u-boot is currently 60k
big, in my opinion a simple bootloader which does something like
memsetup and starting kernel afterwards should not be much bigger than
10k. Or is that wrong?
I tried to disable serial support but several functions in common/
(serial_get* for example) are calling functions in
cpu/arm920t/imx_serial.c. Do I have to "#ifdef" any occurences of these
functions?

REgards, Konsti

--
GPG KeyID EF62FCEF
Fingerprint: 13C9 B16B 9844 EC15 CC2E  A080 1E69 3FDA EF62 FCEF