[U-Boot-Users] Problem uncompressing kernel image

Cory Tusar ctusar at videon-central.com
Fri Feb 25 21:55:32 CET 2005

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>>First, I start U-Boot from flash memory, located at 0xff800000.
>>After it runs, I load the kernel multi-image to RAM, which is located
>>from
>>0x00000000 to 0x007fefff, at address 0x00600000.
>

> Do you really have less than 8 MB of RAM? You will have  hard  times
> of getting Linux to run...

Bollocks.

A 2.4 kernel + RAM disk will run nicely in 4 MB of RAM, you can cut that
to 2 MB if you go the XIP route.  It's no "harder" than setting it up on
a board with >= 8 MB, other than the fact that you need to be judicious
about what's included in your kernel and image.

>>Using the 'imi 0x00600000'-command, i get the output:
>>
>>=> imi 0x00600000
>

> 0x00600000 = 6 MB... Try a higher load  address  (assuming  you  have
> enough RAM).

Not much higher he can go.  Assuming the exact same image, a base of
0x006D0000 would put the end of the image at 0x007FE36E, just barely
within limits.

>>What could be the problem?
>>I calculated the sizes and i am _nearly_ sure, that nothing is
>>overwritten.
>

> I'm not. Get more RAM.

How large is your uncompressed RAM disk image?  Trying to uncompress a
16 MB image into 8 MB of RAM is a BadThing(tm)...

-Cory

--
Cory T. Tusar
Embedded Systems Engineer

     by definition, not smart enough to debug it."  --Brian W. Kernighan