[U-Boot-Users] Hard Coded Configuration in OMAP5912OSK

George G. Davis gdavis at mvista.com
Fri Jan 14 17:34:42 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:38:50AM -0600, Michael Bendzick wrote:
> I was working with the omap5912osk board today, and noticed that the
> include/configs/omap5912osk.h file contains the following lines:
>
> #define CONFIG_BOOTARGS "mem=32M console=ttyS0,115200n8 noinitrd \
>                                 root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=157.87.82.48:\
>                                 /home/mwd/myfs/target ip=dhcp"
> #define CONFIG_NETMASK  255.255.254.0   /* talk on MY local net */
> #define CONFIG_IPADDR   156.117.97.156  /* static IP I currently own */
> #define CONFIG_SERVERIP 156.117.97.139  /* current IP of my dev pc */
> #define CONFIG_BOOTFILE "uImage"        /* file to load */
>
> Most of the bootargs should probably stay, but I really don't think that a
> single person's development environment should be reflected in the standard
> source.
>
> I intend on submitting a patch (to use the CFI driver) for this
> configuration file already, and I think I'll at least comment out the last 4
> lines.
>
> For users of this board, is there something that would be more useful and
> generic to put in the bootargs?

IMO, the bare minimum: "console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/ram ip=off" or
even nothing at all and just let the user do setenv as required for there
case, since it's typically one of the first things most folks will do
anyway, so why guess, leave it NULL.

I'ld personally kill off all the hardcoded network config vars _and_ the
CONFIG_BOOTFILE def too, since that's what we have bootp/dhcp for after
all.

--
Regards,
George