[U-Boot-Users] Spectacularly Weird U-Boot Behavior w/NE2000

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jan 16 18:16:13 CET 2005

In message <41E7FBD2.5020808 at voxware.com> you wrote:

> I can successfully activate the PCMCIA card using "pinit on".  When I do
> this, I see the following:
> So u-boot can read the CIS and figure out that I have a socket LPE.
> Nice.  Then, I try to do a ping - and it works:
> Wonderful.  But now, after doing the ping, u-boot's "view" of flash
> memory gets corrupted.  For example, look at this:
> Notice how the high-order 16 bits of each long word are always "0080"?
> This is completely bogus.  However, flash has not actually been

This is not bogus. It just seems that  sopmething  put  one  of  your
flash chips into command mode. Assuming your hardware is stable, then
some  part  of the code must have written some data which happened to
look like a flash comand to the flash area.

If ythis is reproducable, then some parts of your PCMCIA / network  /
ping  code  write  to  bogus  addresses  in  emory space. But if it's
reproducable it shpould be easy to catch: just set some  "data  write
address  range"  break  point  on  the address range where your flash
resides. This should catch the illegal write.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"What if" is a trademark of Hewlett Packard, so stop using it in your
sentences without permission, or risk being sued.