[U-Boot-Users] 440EP nand flash controller

Bradley Remedios bremedios at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 18:00:59 CET 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:25:42 +0100, Philippe Villet
<philippe.villet at acterna.com> wrote:
> We want to use a 440EP for the next generation of products.
> It includes direct nand flash controller and is able to boot from this
> nand ( Execute a linear sequence
> of boot code out of single page of first block (512B)).
> Is it possible  to run U-boot from Nand flash ?

It should be.  I'm currently working on this.  A thing to note though,
is that you will need a primary bootloader (that runs from the first
block in nand) and to use U-Boot as a secondary bootloader.

> (In this case no more NOR flash is needed on my board)
> Does anyone have some experience with 440EP nand flash controller and
> U-BOOT ?

Yes, in fact I've gotten it working with U-Boot.  Still trying to
debug the primary bootloader.

> Probably a better solution is to use a nor flash for U-Boot and use the
> 440EP nand flash controller to provide
> a glue less interface between 440EP and Nand devices (used to store linux
> kernel and FS).

It would definatly be easier to have U-Boot running from NOR and
modifications would be already sent in as patches now (which are very
minor for just 440EP support.)  I never took full advantage of the
440EP's Nand Flash Controller (I don't use it for the ECC generation)
as it was easier to leave U-Boot operating as it normally does.

Regards,
--
Bradley Remedios
bremedios at gmail.com