[U-Boot-Users] do_run_[os]. why restart if there is a minor problem?

Ara Avanesyan araav at hylink.am
Sat Jan 29 09:51:09 CET 2005

Hi Wolfgang,

Subject: Re: [U-Boot-Users] do_run_[os]. why restart if there is a minor
problem?

> In message <005501c50539$af259e00$1000000a at araavanesyan> you wrote:
> >
> > in function do_run_linux if it finds ramdisk's crc is bad or it's not
> > "u-boot-ized" (mkimage) it resets the board. and many other similar
minor
> > things. so why restart? I propose making do_run_linux return something
> > indicate there is no need to reboot the board and bootm checks this
value
> > and returns.
>
> Your proposal indicates that you did not  follow  the  boot  process.
> What  is  being done right before the ramdisk is being testet? Right,
> we uncompressed and loaded  the  Linux  kernel,  writing  it  to  RAM
> starting  at  address  0x0000, thus overwriting the exception vertors
> installed by U-Boot.

Oh, my changes were working for my board (seems because my hdr->ih_load ==
0x8000).
Anyways, I'm sure u-boot should not enter into un-recoverable state before
making sure there are no Minor errors, such as ramdisk's checksum etc.
How about calling a function like can_run_[os] before entering into
un-recoverable state?
I think this would make u-boot more user friendly.

__
Thanks,
Ara