[U-Boot-Users] Re: Environment in flash rather than EEProm

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin at egholm-nielsen.dk
Sat Jan 29 20:47:16 CET 2005

>>Is the below recipe the way to put the environment in flash?
> Obviously not - as it doesn't work.
:-)

>>I can't seem to find any other instructions on this...
> There are lots of working board config files.
Now, that's an instruction - got it!

>>>I'm using a PPChameleonEVB, and am trying to move the u-boot environment
>>>into flash. I've modified the include/configs/PPChameleon.h file as follows:
> This  statement  is  bogus.
Fortunately I didn't write it!

 > In  the  default  configuration  of  the
> PPChameleonEVB  board,  the envrionment _is_ already in flash, and no
> changes are needed at all.
Ohh, I have been fooled by the initialisation sequence - stating
something about EEPROM.

I wonder what would happen if the EEPROM is taken off (cheaper
production cost) - would U-Boot reject to start?!

>>>#define CFG_ENV_IS_IN_FLASH	1
> OK.
Almost too easy...

Thanks for the guidelines,