[U-Boot-Users] Re: U-boot environment in Xilinx System ACE?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 7 23:56:08 CEST 2005

Dear Keith,

in message <OF203F9449.99AEB2AF-ON07257037.006EF267-07257037.0071F9E5 at mck.us.ray.com> you wrote:

> I did remember that the u-boot environment was read very early and it
> sounds like the restricted runtime environment was the reason that
> storing then environment in compact flash was not implemented.

Right, this is the big problem.

> If the problem is RAM, then I can solve that by dedicating some
> internal RAM in the FPGA for stack and data.  Could we also use
> the PPC405 caches?

It's not just having some memory, but all the other restrictions while
running from flash: no writable data segment, not initialized BSS.

Check the code where CFG_ENV_IS_NOWHERE is used; use a static  confi-
guration for the console baudrate etc. This can get you started...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The man on tops walks a lonely street;  the  "chain"  of  command  is
often a noose.