[U-Boot-Users] Help debugging a PCI scanning problem

Richard Danter richard.danter at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 11 21:41:17 CEST 2005

Richard Danter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have almost completed the porting of U-Boot to my 7400/107 board. I am
> now able to boot from flash, tftpload the hello_world example and run
> it.  :)
>
> However, there is a hack which I don't like and hope maybe someone can
> suggest why I need it and what the _correct_ solution is.
>
> When eepro100_initialize() is called it loops scanning the PCI bus for
> cards. I have such a card and it is found with no problems. The card is
> initialised correctly which is how I am able to tftpload the example.
> The problem comes after it has initialised the card. It looks for a
> second card and this seems to crash the system.
>
> For the moment I have added the following to the end of the
> eepro100_initialize() function:
>
>         read_hw_addr (dev, bis);
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_PPMC7xx
>         /* RAD
>          * FixMe: This prevents a crash but means only
>          *        one network card can be installed
>          */
>         break;
> #endif
>     }
>
>     return card_number;
> }
>
> which works.

A better workaround is to change the code in drivers/pci.c
pci_find_devices() to loop through the devices and functions up to max-1
as the ELPPC does.

So whatever the problem, it has been seen before. This new solution
works for 0, 1 or 2 cards plugged in! I would still like to understand
why this is required though.