[U-Boot-Users] Global vars question (was 7xx/74xx cache question)

Richard Danter richard.danter at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 15 16:29:44 CEST 2005

Richard Danter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Further progress on my port. I can now write to flash!
>
> I noticed in lib_ppc/board.c board_init_r() that on e500 CPU's the
> unlock_ram_in_cache() function is called. The 7xx/74xx also locks the
> init RAM in the dcache, but nowhere is it unlocked.
>
> I tried calling unlock_ram_in_cache() from my board's misc_init_r()
> function, but this crashes U-Boot.
>
> As an experiment, I left the cache locked, but then ran the "dcache off"
> command from the shell. If I do printenv before turning the dcache off
> it is all OK, if I do it after then it crashes.
>
> With my debugger I can see that the gd data structure is garbage when
> env_get_char_memory() is called. But I thought all data was copied to
> the main sys RAM.
>
> Is there something else I need to do before/after calling
> unlock_ram_in_cache() so I can use the D-Cache as normal?

Since I now have system RAM initialised very early on, I tried using the
system RAM instead of the dcache for init RAM. That works fine. I do not
now need to call unlock_ram_in_cache() and I can turn the dcache off/on
without breaking printenv.

Just to check things out,I used "mw" to write a pattern over where the
init RAM is placed. After that, printenv fails again. So it seems
something is wrong within the relocation of global variables.

I have not changed the code to do the relocation, so am I just
misunderstanding what it does? Is there some #define I may have forgotten?

Thanks,
Rich