[U-Boot-Users] Kernel Panic

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 18 22:32:33 CEST 2005

In message <loom.20050718T195232-439 at post.gmane.org> you wrote:
> I am currently trying to boot an kernel with inital ramdisk using u-boot
> on an EP885C, but I am running into the following problem when I try to
> boot the kernel:
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> Freeing initrd memory: 466k freed

So it found the ramdisk, but could not mount the filesystem. Assuming
this is an ext2 file system - did you enable  ext2  support  in  your
kernel configuration?

> I would think that this is purely a kernel problem; however, it did not crop up

It is.

> In order to get the kernel to run, I had to copy the ppcboot.h bd_t struct into
> my linux port and change the IMAP_ADDR to get the kernel to boot.  I am thinking

Wrong  approach.  Don't  copy  and  duplicate  code.  Just   #include
ppcboot.h - this is what it was made for.

> that somehow the bd_t struct changes could make the it impossible to use
> /dev/ram0 correctly.  Other than that, I am stumped.  Any help would be greatly

The ramdisk was recognized correctly. It's the content that did not match.

U-Boot has nothing to do with that.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."       - Doug Gwyn