[U-Boot-Users] Re: Kernel Panic

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 18 23:52:38 CEST 2005

In message <loom.20050718T230327-483 at post.gmane.org> you wrote:

> I can see that my ramdisk was improperly made before, but I am still at a
> loss to understand why if I make a gzipped version of my filesystem, I get
> to this point:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Mounted devfs on /dev
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 44k init
>
> and the board reboots, bringing me back to the u-boot prompt.  If I make an
> uncompressed version, it will boot and even bring me to a Busybox prompt,
> but if I try to execute an ls command, the board reboots.

Sounds like a memory probem to me. Are you absolutely sure  that  the
kernel  sees  the  correct  size  of  your RAM, and that all of it is
actually working, without any gaps or overlaps or mirroring?

> and the board reboots.  I understand that this probably has nothing to do with
> u-boot, but I do not know where else to turn with this problem.  Thank you for

It may have to do  with  U-Boot,  more  precisely  with  your  memory
initialization.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Boss, n.: According to the Oxford English Dictionary, in  the  Middle
Ages  the  words  "boss"  and "botch" were largely synonymous, except
that boss, in addition to meaning  "a  supervisor  of  workers"  also
meant "an ornamental stud."