[U-Boot-Users] Re: Kernel Panic

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 19 18:51:45 CEST 2005

In message <loom.20050719T182347-661 at post.gmane.org> you wrote:

> If you mean the UPM RAM words, my setup perfectly matches the table in the
> manual.  Also, I have 64 Mb of ram, and u-boot recognizes it as such.  As

Please RTFM, the UPM table is just half of the story.

> for all of it working, I am going to run the u-boot memory test on the whole
> thing to see if there are any problems.  Do you have any other suggestions
> that might make it more apparent if my memory is not correct?

Check if there are mirrored areas.

> Am I right in saying that the following problem is indicative of a memory
> problem?  When I plugged the BDI into the board in an attempt to figure out

No. Memory problems is just one of the possible explanations.

> Call backtrace:
> C3BEC5D0 C0065DC8 C0045BBC C00360A0 C0036758 C00367D0 C004AAC0
> C004AE38 C011DF84 C00026A0 C0002280 C0006B60

And what did the backtrace show?

> I read in the FAQ that memory misconfigured PowerPCs tend to have floating
> point exceptions.  I am not able to look at the memory indicated in the call
> backtrace without killing the board.  Is there some other way to better

Why not? You can type "halt" at the BDI any time...

> I am starting to be convinced that somehow to SDRAM is not initialized
> correctly, but past the UPM RAM words and writing the MAR and MCR, I am not
> sure what else has to be done to initialize it correctly.  Any guidance

Read the chip manufacturer's manual again.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars.
	-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3259.2