[U-Boot-Users] Problem with bootm command

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 25 15:09:40 CEST 2005

In message <2824371 at web.de> you wrote:

> I have a problem getting started a 2.6.12 kernel with initrd on my csb637 =
> board using u-boot 1.1.3 as bootloader.

And what makes you think this is an U-Boot related question?

> mem=64M console=ttyS0,115200 initrd=0x21200000,0x001b06b6 root=/dev/ram rw

The command is bogus. For a correct port, there is no  need  to  pass
mem= or initrd= at all.

All this has been discussed many, many times before. I am not willing
to repeat it here, especially since I think it is off topic  on  this
list.

> I think the problem occures because of the added file-header to the initrd
>  binary file. I compared the original binary file with the u-boot initrd i

No, this file header is needed by U-Boot.

> Maybe i only have to change the Entry Point to 0x21200040, but normally i
> do not know the size of the appended header information.

A ram disk has no entry point at all.

> I thought that when using the bootm command u-boot copies the initrd image
>  to it's designated sdram location without the header information (-- but
> obviously it does not), am i wrong? Maybe there's another mistake.

For a correct port of U-Boot and Linux that's how it works.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Vulcans worship peace above all.
	-- McCoy, "Return to Tomorrow", stardate 4768.3