AW: [U-Boot-Users] das u-boot and disc on chip

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 3 08:51:37 CET 2005

In message <DE2CC66C40EAB74EA6D66AC71BF98E1E03055BAD at TQ-MAILSRV-1> you wrote:

> With this fact in mind, I think it is not a good idea to store the
> boot loader in a flash device whose data integrity is not guaranteed,
> even though it may be cheap and popular. Or am I missing something?

Yes, you are:  there  is  a  huge  market  for  cheap  devices  where
reliability  is  not an issue, where only the price counts, and which
are thrown away because of fading geek value long before the hardware
is actually worn out.

No, this doesn't  make  sense  -  neither  technically  nor  from  an
ecological  point  of view. But some people make money out of it. And
for them it's obviously cheaper to replace a broken  device  than  to
make  sure  it  will work for at least 6 months. And who cares if you
lose some data?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"One planet is all you get."