[U-Boot-Users] -nostdinc

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 9 10:39:17 CET 2005

In message <422E60FD.50108 at mc.com> you wrote:

> Having lots of fun with U-boot on our custom PPC440GX board. We're also
> pretty far along on developing a loadable "u-boot application" for this
> board.

Congrats :-)

> I've noticed that -nostdinc is used for many of the compiles. When I

It should be used for _all_ compiles of files that  get  linked  into
the U-Boot image. Please point out if we're missing any (of course it
is  NOT  used  for  any  tools that will run on the host system, like
mkimage etc.).

> attempted to include stdlib.h and atoi() in our application, the
> compiler could not find the file.

That's a good thing as it prevented you to do a stupind thing ;-)

> Further examination of the U-Boot code-base shows little or no use of
> stdlib.h. Is this to keep the overall binary size to a minimum?

It is to  make  U-Boot  self-contained,  i.  e.  independent  of  any
external libraries etc.

> Any other reason for not adding this library to build? One simple

Yes. You don;t need it.

> alternative is to include our own atoi() source code.

Don't reinvent the wheel. Don't bloat the code by multiple  implemen-
tations of the same function. Use simple_strtoul() instead.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil  with
a  blunt  ax.  It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes
instead.                                           -- Edsger Dijkstra