RES: [U-Boot-Users] m5282evb

NZG ngustavson at emacinc.com
Wed Mar 16 21:38:25 CET 2005

It's not obvious from the documentation, but u-boot does not properly
initialize the m5282.

Specifically, you will to modify u-boot, or use a pre-loader(such as colilo)
to boot - u-boot.

This is because
1. The u-boot cpu directory for th 52x2 does not contain a complete
initialization for the cpu.
2. The board directory does not contain proper initialization for the
board(DRAM).
3. There is a problem with the way u-boot shadows things that crashes it when
it tries to boot directly from flash.
4. There is apparently some licensing issue with Kuhn's old pre-loader or
something like that.

That being said, I am working on a version that does not require a pre-loader.
So is Zachary Landau, although we are working in slightly different directions

I am trying to get support for my board into u-boot quickly, and am trying to
use the existing method, just booting everything from a different RAM
location than 0. My method currently only supports our new board, the
SoM-5282

I believe Zach is working on getting u-boot to run from internal flash, and is
focusing more on the uCDimm.
(forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn Zach)

I can send you what I have so far so long as you promise to play nice with the
GPL (it boots), but I'm not sure about it's stability yet. (mtest crashes I
don't think I have my boundaries set up to prevent it from overwriting the
bootloader yet)

good luck,
NZG.