[U-Boot-Users] u-boot config

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 11 09:49:51 CEST 2005

In message <loom.20050511T050014-177 at post.gmane.org> you wrote:

> We have a IXDP425 based system, if I undnerstand it correctly.
> One needs to hard code the system ram value at compile time itself.

With "ram value" you probably mean the ram size?

Actually this should  be  computed  instead  of  beiong  hard  coded,
although many ARM boards fail to implement this.

> Can some one tell me why dynamic probe of memory like in PC not possible ?

It is possible and standard on most boards. Normally common/memsize.c
is used for this purpose.

> are there any registers one can read to find this out ??
> we would like to have dynamically probed memory configured by u-boot.

Feel free to implement it for your board.

> Also, Can some one please explain / point to me some page / doc which describes
> what makes up the u-boot config area ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "config area". We never used this  term
before in U-Boot.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Generally speaking, there are other ways to accomplish whatever it is
that you think you need ...                               - Doug Gwyn