[U-Boot-Users] 'Syslog implementation in u-boot'

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 17 10:12:23 CEST 2005

[Please keep this discussion on the mailing list so it gets  archived
and others can benefit from it, too.]

In message <36446.202.62.67.130.1116316510.squirrel at 202.62.67.130> you wrote:

> Suppose if any currepted image exists in server,u-boot downloads this
> currepted file into embedded system flash.

If it's a  corruption  that  happened  on  the  way  of  copying  and
transferring images, then the CRC32 checksum mechanism can be used to
prevent  you  from storing corrupted images in the flash at all. Just
use the "imi" command before storing the  image  to  flash,  somthing
like

	tftp ... && imi && cp.b ...

[assuming you have the hish shell enabled, which you should have  for
such purposes.]

> Once we reset the embdded system kernel may not comeup.
> To overcome this we have made some changes to u-boot to get images from
> externel server when it finds kernel is not OK.
> But this is contineous loop .

There is no need for this. U-Boot supports a boot counter  which  can
be  used to break out of tsuch a loop. It was implemented EXACTLY for
this  purpose.  See  the  "bootcnt",  "bootlimit"  and   "altbootcmd"
environment variables.

> With this we can solve problem, but we may complete FALSH write cycles(if
> it  works contineously for day/two).

Don't do it, then ;-)

> It it does not get, then it should send a log message to external
> system(where the syslog server is running).so that user can see the
> message and plase the correct iamge in tftp server.

You can use simple console redirection in U-Boot for this purpose. We
support console over network.

Summarizing: there is no need  to  implement  anything  at  all:  all
features  you  might need are already in place. The only exception is
that the CPU dependent part of the bootcount feature is not available
on all processors yet, but it is trivial to implement.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Wenn das dann in die Hose geht, nehme ich es auf meine Kappe.
                                         -- Rudi Völler, 15. Nov 2003