[U-Boot-Users] Microcode patches for mpc8xx

Thomas Lange thomas at corelatus.se
Sun May 22 19:14:16 CEST 2005

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <42901EE9.4090209 at paulidav.org> you wrote:
>

>>I have a couple of questions about RAM microcode patches for MPC8xx CPUs:
>>

>This is a neglected area  in  U-Boot;  usually  U-Boot  needs  little
>resources  and  uCode patches are needed at all. actually none of the
>existing configurations seems to use the code.
>

>>   1. What is EXACTLY the patch in cpu/mpc8xx/upatch.c. Specifically,
>>      which CPU(s) it is applicable to? I looked at a couple of recent
>>      patches available at Freescale website and none of them resembles
>>      the stuff in upatch.c
>>

>The existing code was added to PPCBoot  as  part  of  the  GTH  board
>support  on 2001/09/11, and never changed since. Interesting ewnough,
>the GTH board does not use the code - nor does any other  board.  The
>README  says  what  it is intended to do. The uCode itself is probaly
>obsolete by now as it is at least as old as the code in the CVS.

I checked the patch I sent for the GTH board.
upatch.c was not included.
You probably just happened to add upatch.c from somewhere
else at the same time.
We have never used microcode patches for GTH.
CVS log:

Add cpu/mpc8xx/upatch.c which I forgot to check in.

Major modification for GTH board;
added CONFIG_RESET_TO_RETRY configuration option