[U-Boot-Users] Microcode patches for mpc8xx

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun May 22 22:06:36 CEST 2005

Dear Dan,

in message <b612f49967c241b7139960e8a3144848 at embeddededge.com> you wrote:

> >>    4. Finally, what is the assumption about Linux. Is it supposed to
> >>       reset the CP and reload the patches?
> > This is what it's doing at the moment. One can ague if this is a good
> > idea or not.
>
> We kind of have to do it again in Linux because we don't know what
> was loaded or if it will match the drivers we have.   There are boards
> that load CPM microcode patches, aren't running U-Boot, and would
> often fail because we couldn't keep the Linux configuration or driver
> modifications in sync with the board boot roms.

Yes, this is the major argument pro doing it in Linux, too.

Of course, for highly optimized systems where you  have  squeeze  the
memory  footprint  as  far as possible this is one of the areas where
one can save a few bytes.

Normally I too think that Linux should not make too many  assumptions
about the previous state of the hardware.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I program, therefore I am.