[U-Boot-Users] Microcode patches for mpc8xx

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 23 10:28:11 CEST 2005

Dear Vladimir,

in message <429182DA.4090207 at paulidav.org> you wrote:

> Yes, I noticed that too and was a little suprised. At least SMC1/SCC3 or
> SPI/SCC2 combinations should not be that uncommon...

They are pretty uncommon.

> Does that mean it's OK to mess up cpu/mpc8xx/upatch.c? How would you
> like to ifdef the original code?

No, it's NEVER ok to mess up any U-Boot code. But please feel free to
clean this up (you can probably use the Linux implementation  in  our
CVS tree as starting point).

> I think that CFG_{SPI,I2C}_UCODE_PATCH config variables  make little
> sense. Instead, we should rely on CFG_{I2C,SPI}_DPMEM_OFFSET (and add
> another one for SMC) as well as the CPU type to decide whether a patch

Be careful. The requirements for ucode support have changed with  the
more recent versions of 8xx processors.

> is needed and if yes, which one. Also, the code in the corresponding
> drivers will be changed to use RPBASE based not on the  fact that patch
> is there, but on whether the feature is supported. This will take care
> of MPC852T, that doesn't need a patch for SPI/I2C, but still needs one
> for SMC1. Is that OK?

Probably. Let's see how it works...

> I should've probably asked that on linuxppc-embedded, but since we are
> on this topic here: look like SMC relocation is explicitly not supported
> and I can't see the SPI driver as well (unless it reuses 8260 driver).

In our CVS tree? See the old linux-2.4 tree. We don't see  many  uses
of 8xx systems recently with ucode requirements.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How long does it take a  DEC  field  service  engineer  to  change  a
lightbulb?       It depends on how many bad ones he brought with him.