[U-Boot-Users] Re: Booting the Linux/ppc64 kernel without Open Firmware HOWTO (v3)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue May 24 09:55:02 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 09:50 +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > +/*
> > + * The Open Firmware 1275 specification states properties must be 31
> > bytes or
> > + * less, however not all firmwares obey this. Make it 64 bytes to be
> > safe.
> > + */
>
> Not true.  There is no restriction on the length of properties
> (or property _names_, which I guess is what you meant).

Yes, we meant names, and yes, there is a limit of 31 characters + 0,
that is 32 bytes (see "3.2.2.1.1 Property names" in 1275. BTW. Do you
have a useable version of this document ? mine is a totally broken PDF
made from a crappy .ps :)

IBM firmware broke that limit in a couple of places though...

>  There
> is the 31-char restriction on _node_ names, though (and the node
> name is only the part before the optional @ or : -- and at a
> minimum, the part after @ but before : is needed to disambiguate
> the node).

Yes, I know all that.

> I didn't review the rest of the code, sorry.

No worries :)

Ben.