[U-Boot-Users] Revision control systems

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue May 24 20:58:20 CEST 2005

Hi Wolfgang,

Are you still considering switching from CVS to a distributed version
control system?  The following is a pretty interesting summary of a few
of them:
<http://www.livejournal.com/users/bramcohen/17319.html?thread=163751>

I've dabbled with ARCH (tla) and monotone (only since the weekend) to
pull the u-boot CVS into a local repository and merge/control local
changes while tracking the master repository.  After reading the above
article, I've been reading up on DARC as well.

With ARCH, my approach was to create a Sourceforge CVS -> ARCH master,
using ARCH to create changesets that tracked the Sourceforge CVS master
repository.  I then created a "local master" ARCH repository and applied
the "master master" patchsets to the "local master".  I've had some
problems tracking the master repository successfully.

Monotone looks promising because Linus was considering using it and
because, according to the article, git closely resembles it.  If you're
going to grab a tiger tail, might as well grab the tail of the biggest
one ;-)  Monotone is designed to make multiple branches and multiple
heads easy to create and merge, which seems to be a good way to go for
tracking a master and simultaneously controlling local changes.  I don't
have enough time in on it to see how well it works in practice.

DARC looks very promising for slaving off a master repository with local
changes.  I like the idea of being able to easily forward a changeset to
the Repository Master (you), and then, when it gets accepted, undo the
local changeset and apply the master changeset.  ARCH can be used this
way but DARC appears to be structured more for this type of usage with
its emphasis on independent commutable patches.  How well it works in
practice remains to be seen...

Thanks,
gvb