[U-Boot-Users] tool to create environment on host?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 26 12:32:21 CEST 2005

In message <42957FBE.6010202 at imc-berlin.de> you wrote:

> > See "board/tqm8xx/load_sernum_ethaddr.c" - on these boards the unused
> > space at the end of the last U-Boot flash sector is  used:  we  store
> > some  data  structure  in the last 64 bytes of this sector containing
> > the serial number, MAC address and som configuration  information  of
> > the  board.
>
> And if you update U-Boot in the field these information get lost!?

By then the information has long been saved to the normal environment
(it get's written with the first "saveenv"). You just  have  to  make
sure  that  the  standard update procedure takes care to keep the old
environment - but you want to do this anyway.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I'm a programmer: I don't buy software, I write it.
                                                  -- Tom Christiansen