[U-Boot-Users] compile u-boot with recent toolchain : symbols problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 30 10:08:35 CEST 2005

In message <c8f10050526062372e8a833 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I used to compile U-Boot with ELDK, but I currently need to work with
> newer toolchain :
>  - binutils-2.16
>  - gcc-3.4.3

This looks line a binutils problem, then. May I ask why you  have  to
use binutils-2.16 ?

And which exact board are we talking about?

> The "__u_boot_cmd_start" symbol value, generated with this new
> toolchain, is wrong (U-Boot crashes when relocating the command
> table).

Can you please provide exact data, like the differences  between  the
System.map  and  the  u-boot.map  files  when using binutils-2.16 and
another, working version of binutils? [Please use the _same_  version
of GCC for this comparison.]

> There are two new sections between "__u_boot_cmd_start" and
> ".u_boot_cmd" address :
>  - .data.rel.local
>  - .data.rel

Can you please show exactly what happens?

> I don't know what these (new) sections are, but the problem can be
> solved in "u-boot.lds" :
> -   __u_boot_cmd_start = .;
>     .u_boot_cmd : { *(.u_boot_cmd) }
>     __u_boot_cmd_end = .;
> +  __u_boot_cmd_start = ADDR(.u_boot_cmd);

I would like to understand this problem first before  deciding  about
any fixes or patches.

Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone
is responsible. Universes of virtually unlimited  complexity  can  be
created  in  the  form  of  computer  programs." - Joseph Weizenbaum,
_Computer Power and Human Reason_