[U-Boot-Users] KPIT GNUSH compiler not sufficient to compile U-Boot under Cygwin

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue May 31 16:08:19 CEST 2005

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i went through something very much like this problem a while back,
> where the KPIT compiler was too dense to follow proper cygwin drive
> mappings.
>
>   from memory (i don't have the system in front of me at the moment),
> i just created my cygwin home directory on d:\home, and set my
> environment HOME variable to d:\home\rday.
>
>   in short, i set up cygwin and my home directory to not rely on any
> cygwin drive mapping, and that seemed to work.  go figure.
>
> rday

I suspect the fundamental problem is with NTFS's limitations which
forces cygwin to do work-arounds to implement links and mounts.
Apparently kpit doesn't understand the work-arounds.  I would "blame"
NTFS, not cygwin or kpit.  Avoiding limitations and thus the
work-arounds is always the most practical solution.

gvb
P.S. I was intentionally generic on limitations and work-arounds...
cygwin itself is a workaround to win2k's limitations ;-)