[U-Boot-Users] NetConsole tstc problems

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Nov 2 19:10:33 CET 2005

Hi Brian,

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 18:34, Brian Prodoehl wrote:
> I'm not sure which fix you mean.  The fix to the sleep command corrected
> the time issue, but there are still underlying problems with nc_tstc.  Try
> hitting Ctrl+C to abort the sleep.  I have to hit it between 3 and 10 times
> before it registers.

Hmmm. With my sleep fix, this works pretty well on my test platform. The main
problem seems to be, that the delay from the ethernet driver (I was using
ppc4xx by the way), can range from a few ms to some 100ms or even more in
your case.

What is your platform? Can you check your ethernet driver, if there are big
delays or timeouts.

> And that fix doesn't help at all with the
> CONFIG_BOOT_RETRY_TIME problem.  I don't see any configs using NetConsole
> and bootretry, but I'd be interested to hear that someone has it working
> without having to change core code.  My current fix is to change the
> following in main.c's readline():
>
> 	for (;;) {
> - #ifdef CONFIG_BOOT_RETRY_TIME
> + #if defined(CONFIG_BOOT_RETRY_TIME) && !defined(CONFIG_NETCONSOLE)
> 		while (!tstc()) {	/* while no incoming data */
> 			if (retry_time >= 0 && get_ticks() > endtime)
> 				return (-2);	/* timed out */
> 		}
> #endif
> 		WATCHDOG_RESET();	/* Trigger watchdog, if needed */
>
> With that change, I'm at least able to use NetConsole when
> CONFIG_BOOT_RETRY_TIME is defined, but only by skirting around a tstc that
> doesn't work very well.

Yes, we should try to solve the problem itself. Seems to be not easy
though. :-(

Best regards,
Stefan