[U-Boot-Users] Re: U-boot IDE working, what now?

Gregg Nemas gnemas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 02:53:23 CET 2005

Travis B. Sawyer <tsawyer <at> sandburst.com> writes:

> You have exactly what we use in our Sandburst Metrobox and Karef boards.
>
> I modeled our linux ide driver after drivers/ide/ppc/cpci405ide.c
> (Note the orginal author of cpci405ide.c watches this list ;)
>
> Here's the cruft of it:

Thanks! I tried to modify it to work on my system, but I am not having much
luck. A few questions:

1. To add the code, I just added the line

   ide-core-y += ppc/mycf.o

where "ppc/mycf.c" is the name of the new driver file. Is this the only thing I
need to do to include the driver in the kernel?

2. Where should I place a call to sandburstide_init()? I tried inserting it at
the end of ibm4xx_platform_init (in file ibm44x_common.c), but this causes the
system to hang before even generating any console output.

3. You have the register offsets at 0, 2, 4, etc. To get the interface to work
with u-boot, I had to set the offsets to 0, 3, 5, etc. so that the 8-bit
registers would be in the correct byte lane. Should I expect the same thing here?

4. Is it possible for this to work without using the CF interrupt? The current
hardware design misrouted this signal, so I can't use it.

5. The comment at the top of the code you supplied says "scaling 4", but the
register offsets would imply scaling of 2. Is there something I am
misunderstanding here?

6. You mentioned that you modeled your ide driver after drivers / ide / ppc /
cpci405ide.c, but I don't seem to have this file. I am working with kernel
version 2.6.12.3. Was this added later?

Thanks a lot.

Gregg