[U-Boot-Users] IceCube MPC5200 PCI crash - need help

Gerhard Jaeger g.jaeger at sysgo.com
Wed Nov 30 08:43:22 CET 2005

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 08:25, Martin Krause wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> ndrooght at cadlink.com wrote on :
> > I am using the IceCube MPC5200 evaluation board from Freescale.  Uboot
> > 1.1.4 is operational on the board.
> > With no PCI card install, I get the following on startup:
> >
> > PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
> >         00  1a  1057  5803  0680  00
> > In:    serial
> > Out:   serial
> > Err:   serial
> > Net:   FEC ETHERNET
> >
> > When I plug in a PCI card, the board crashes with the following
> > message:
> >
> > PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
> > Bus Fault @ 0x03fa3cc0, fixup 0x00000000
> > Machine check in kernel mode.
> > Caused by (from msr): regs 03f4fd20 Unknown values in msr
> > NIP: 03FA3CC0 XER: 00000000 LR: 03FA3CB4 REGS: 03f4fd20 TRAP: 0200
> > DAR: 20446576
> > MSR: 00003000 EE: 0 PR: 0 FP: 1 ME: 1 IR/DR: 00
> >
> > Has anyone else come across this problem?  If you had, what can be
> > done
>
> Is your PCI card a real 3,3 V card? The IceCube (Lite5200) board
> only supports 3,3 V cards. No 5,0 V cards and no 3,3 V/5 V mixed
> cards are allowed.
> Because of an unfurtunate design of the Lite5200 board it is
> possible to plug in a 5 V PCI card in reverse direction into the
> 3,3 V coded PCI receptacle.

You are right, but in the "reverse" case you probably won't see
the "machine check", you probably see some smoking signs of the
board :(

It turned out that even if you have a 3.3V card it must not
necessarily work. I only managed to make some Intel NICs work.

Ciao,
Gerhard

Gerhard Jaeger <gjaeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software
www.sysgo.com | www.elinos.com | www.pikeos.com | www.osek.de