[U-Boot-Users] u-boot and gcc 4.0

Dmytro Bablinyuk dmytro.bablinyuk at rftechnology.com.au
Tue Oct 4 09:03:56 CEST 2005

I have noticed today that u-boot uses some techniques that were
deprecated in 3.4.x and now removed in 4.0 (so I cannot just get source
and compile it under 4.0)

For example in u-boot/fs/jffs2/compr_rubin.c
temp = *(++((u32 *) in));
compr_rubin.c:89: error: invalid lvalue in increment

According to the gcc 4.0.0 changelog:
--8<--
The cast-as-lvalue, conditional-expression-as-lvalue and
compound-expression-as-lvalue extensions, which were deprecated in 3.3.4
and 3.4, have been removed.
--8<--

Is there are any plans to support 4.0 compiler or shall I downgrade my
compiler to 3.4.x version. I may try to fix such places but since I have
another task such as get our board running I am quite afraid to
introduce a new problems.

Thank you

Dimitry