[U-Boot-Users] Replacing AT91 u-boot

Peter Menzebach pm-ub at mw-itcon.de
Tue Oct 4 11:37:31 CEST 2005

kentropy wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm sorry but I am still facing to problems trying to replace the existing u-boot-0.3.2 with the latest 1.1.3 on a at91rm9200dk board.
> I built u.boot
>  make at91rm9200dk_config
>  make
> then I reomved R159 from the board and booted,
> then I sent loader.bin (found on Atmel website)
>
> then I send the just builded u-boot.bin
> but at this point the AT91 system freezes showing few random characters on the serial console.
>
> If I use the original u-boot.bin 0.3.2 everything is ok,
> what am I missing ?

I am starting here, because later in the thread was to much mismatch
between the 2 different ways to boot the system:

1. Booting u-boot from the parallel flash
The board is delivered with this option. Here it should be possible to
simply replace u-boot in the parallel flash. Please check the serial and
PLL settings.

2. Booting from serial dataflash (romboot, u-boot, kernel, rootfs in
dataflash)
Principle shown in:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc6067.pdf

Only for this procedure you have to remove R159!

Here *no* program can be executed directly, since the flash is *serial*.

Here we have a multi-stage boot process:
1. Internal ROM services are finding ARM vector in dataflash and start
downloading "romboot.bin" from serial dataflash to SRAM
2. romboot starts and sets up processor, RAM+serial
3. romboot loads u-boot from serial dataflash to RAM
4. romboot starts u-boot
5. u-boot loads+starts uImage from serial dataflash to RAM and starts it
(bug in common/cmd_bootm.c, patch:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1072345&group_id=65938&atid=512789)
6. rootfs can be jffs2 in dataflash, newest mtd sources from mtd cvs needed

The romboot delivered by Atmel didn't set up the PLLs correctly, I don't
know, if they corrected it on their website. A replacement for
romboot.bin compilable with gnuc is here:

http://www.mw-itcon.de/patches/romboot.tgz

Please check always memory addresses, PLL and serial settings in the
configs of romboot, u-boot and kernel.

I can definitely confirm, that u-boot-1.1.2 works fine in that case. If
needed, I can send you the u-boot config.

Hope, that helps a step further...
Peter