[U-Boot-Users] BSS section in PPC405 Targets

Raghu raghu_dk at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 13:11:39 CEST 2005

Hello All,

I am working on a PPC405EP based target and hist upon
this issue w.r.t the "struct flash_info_t
flash_info[]"
variable declared globally in the board/flash.c
directory. My target has 128Mbyte SDRAM i.e.
0x08000000.

In the function "flash_init",
for( i = 0; i < CFG_MAX_FLASH_BANKS; ++i )
{
	flash_info[i].flash_id = FLASH_UNKNOWN;
}

I get a Bus Fault exception. My map file shows the
following ...
COMMON         0xffff8bb0      0x50c
board/nms/CG6060/libCG6060.a(flash.o)
                               0x0 (size before
relaxing)
                0xffff8bb0                flash_info
                0xffff8000                . =
0xffff8000

And after relocation to RAM the address shown is

I2C:   Enabled
DRAM:  128 MB
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 08000000
New Stack Pointer is: 07f87f38
Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: 07fc8000
FLASH: [flash_init, 56] Entering ...
[flash_init, 57] flash_info = 0x08000BB0 ...
Bus Fault @ 0x07fe5f0c, fixup 0x00000000
Machine check in kernel mode.

The flash_info is @ 0x08000BB0, which seeme  out of
SRAM limit.

Have I messed up somewhere, or any clues where to look
for the linker script information please ??

Warm Regards,
Raghu.