[U-Boot-Users] mtdparts

Ladislav Michl ladis at linux-mips.org
Tue Sep 6 20:02:48 CEST 2005

Hi there.

I'm just trying to sync with U-Boot development and found a little
regresion in new mtdparts code. Previously I was using custom partition
function, which let me do precisely what I wanted.

mtd0 - U-Boot
mtd1 - env
mtd2 - r_env
mtd3 - rootfs0
mtd4 - rootfs1
... etc

In above scheme my custom part function allowed only chpart [34], so it
was not even possible to change partition to evn sector for example.
Moreover it was pretty easy to construct kernel command line this way:
setenv bootargs '$bootargs root=/dev/mtdblock$partition ro rootfstype=jffs2'
And everything worked nicely. That is no longer case and it's real pain
with both NOR and NAND devices used in system.

Prefered solution for me is to fix kernel to be able to mount root
filesystem from MTD device given by name (root=mtd:rootfs0) unless
someone has better idea :-). Something which would work also with 2.4
kernels would be appreciated.

	ladis