[U-Boot-Users] Difference between ppc-linux-gcc and ppc_82xx-gcc?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 16 14:04:14 CEST 2005

In message <20050916112739.26098.qmail at web15906.mail.cnb.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I encountered a compiling problem on fw_printenv tool
> in u-boot-1.1.3 tools directory. When setting
> CROSS_COMPILE=ppc-linux-, there would be a problem

If  you  had  read  the  documentation  (especially  Table   3.5   at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKUsage)   you  should  know
that this is an illegal setting.

> but not for CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_82xx-. Well, the funny
> thing is that both settings work fine to compile

There is nothing funny at all about this. It's just  a  pilot  error:
Garbage in, garbage out.

To put it simply: RTFM.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.