[U-Boot-Users] Fail Safe: Redundant U-boot Images in Flash????

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 23 21:06:40 CEST 2005

In message <65E50D2CD54E9649B6CAA522C3EF659105E34667 at MKEMLVEM08.e2k.ad.ge.com> you wrote:

> We're looking at doing something similar on an MPC860 with a
> first-stage U-Boot that just checksums and jumps to one of two
> second-stage U-Boot images that are stored in flash.  This would

A checksum does not help anything. It is no guarantee that  an  image
is actually working. Also, many systems have an embedded environment,
so the first "saveenv" will kill your checksum.

> allow us to update U-Boot in the field without risk of losing our
> bootloader and being left with a dead system.  Of course, this

Installing a new image and just relying on the checksum is  something
you can already do today.

> assumes we keep the initial U-Boot very simple so that we can get

Please don't call this "init code "U-Boot", then. And  note  that  it
will  not  be  as  simple as you like. You said checksum? So you must
have at least the checksum functions; you must determine which of the
available images to select; you may have  to  trigger  the  watchdog;
etc. etc.

> away with never updating it. We haven't started working on it yet,
> just discussing at a high level.  Might have some issues with
> vectors.

It is far from trivial, and if you look cloder into it, you will find
that you cannot fix all of the things that potentially can go  wrong.
In  the  end  you  might  decide that it's either saver to not update
U-Boot, or to use it just as the core and implement any higher  level
functions  as  loadable standalone programs, or just to risk that one
out of N (N being some really big number) updates might  actually  go
wrong.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What the gods would destroy they first submit to  an  IEEE  standards
committee.