[U-Boot-Users] Fail Safe: Redundant U-boot Images in Flash??? ?

Eisenhut, Daniel (GE Healthcare) Daniel.Eisenhut at med.ge.com
Fri Sep 23 23:40:58 CEST 2005

> > The code at the entry point needs to be small, reliable and never require an
> > upgrade in the field. This code would run a CRC on the primary U-boot image
>
> THe code at the  entry  point  that  is  small,  reliable  and  never
> requires  an upgrade in the field is U-Boot. Just don't touch it. You
> don't have to.

...insert bullet, spin cylinder, point at foot, pull trigger...

Hopefully, we will never need to update.  But if we do, it'd be nice
to be able to reduce the risk of updating as much as possible.

> What you typically do (assuming the hardware supports it) is to  have
> two  banks  of  flash memory that can be swapped using some jumper or
> switch or so.

When it costs a grand just to have a service tech walk in the door, this
becomes an unacceptable option.