[U-Boot-Users] Re: [patch] add support for AMD Alchemy Pb1x00 boards to u-boot-1.1.2

Andrew Dyer amdyer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 00:40:56 CEST 2005

On 9/24/05, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> > I've also fixed the mii and usb commands which can dereference a null
> > pointer when called without arguments.
>
> No, this is not possible. The command definition requires  always  at
> least one argument. This part rejected.

I beg to differ - I've seen this problem also.  The code in
main.c:run_command() checks for more than more than a
maximum but never checks a minimum number of arguments,
so entering mii<CR> makes cmd_mii get called with argv[0] = 'mii'
and argc = 1.  main.c:parse_line() sets argv[1] to NULL.

The code in cmd_mii.c assumes there will be a valid argv[1],
but never checks argc before using argv[1].  This leads to an
exception on machines where 0 is not a valid address (like MIPS).

--
Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.