[U-Boot-Users] Re: Initialization of Ethernet Interface

Frank Agius ftagius at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 02:15:11 CEST 2005

Swapnil Ashok Narkhede <S3092131 <at> student.rmit.edu.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to port U-Boot for Mainstone 2 board, U-boot does not
> support Mainstone patches yet. But with the code that i received
> I can get the board to boot.
> But i cannot get the Ethernet Interface working.

Are you getting any error messages on the console for the ethernet interface?
Was the ethernet interface supposed to be working in the code you received?

> Could anyone please explain me how the initialization/setting up of Ethernet
interface happens in U-boot
> source code.

The Mainstone 2 board should be using the driver code in "drivers/lan91c96.c".
One of the first functions called is "smc_enable".  You could try to turn on
debugging in this file (#define SMC_DEBUG 3) and see if the debug messages help.
 Another item to check is the state of the two LED's near the LAN connector.
One is link, the other is activity.  Does the link LED come on when you connect
a cable to the network?  Does the activitly LED blink when connected to the
network?

regards,

Frank Agius