[U-Boot-Users] BDI vs. Lauterbach

Woodruff, Richard r-woodruff2 at ti.com
Mon Apr 10 15:02:20 CEST 2006

At the U-boot level I don't know that their should be a huge
differentiator.  When you get to the OS level depending on the type of
work you are doing having a bit tighter integration with the Linux
kernel probably can be more help (context switch awareness and symbol
context switching being something very useful).

I generally use a Lauterbach when I can as I'm familiar with it and it
has been stable and highly useful faster than alternatives.  Also as it
matures many if not all of the internal registers get mapped into the
debugger. I find ETB/ETM to be very useful in debugging low level code.
Being able to step bi-directionally in C or ASM at an exception point
makes things much easier.

LB does have an OS aware layer which I use at times.  It can give you ps
in various formats and access the /proc structure.  More things then
I'll enumerate here.

Regards,
Richard W.