[U-Boot-Users] BDI vs. Lauterbach

Andrey Volkov avolkov at varma-el.com
Mon Apr 10 18:17:25 CEST 2006

On Monday, April 10, 2006, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <427722615.20060410170041 at varma-el.com> you wrote:
>>
>> Pros:

> meaning: pro for Lauterbach, just to make it clear.
Yes

>>      BDI - 10Mbit eth, Lauterbach - 100 Mbit.
> This does not mean anything. I haven't seen a single case  where  the
> network  speed  was  the limiting factor. Shuffeling the data through
> the JTAG is usually much slower.
Not always. As ex.:  allowable MPC5200 JTAG's clock is ... 25 MHz,
clock of 10 Mbit eth is ... + tcp stack overhead. And now we run
memory dump command and measure.

>>      Lauterbach scalable and simply extendable, BDI - not.

> What would you want to extend or scale?
Lauterbach like Lego, constructing from modules: from dumb
LPT<->jtg upto monster-alike in-circuit emulator
(I didn't talk about how _much_ smb. will pay for it,
I talk about possibility).

>> Cons:
>>      BDI support gnu toolchain natively (in GDB server mode),

> In other words: The  BDI2000  fits  seamlessly  into  a  Linux  based
> development  environment.  You  can  use exact the same tools and and
> user interface for low level stuff (boot loader,  OS  and  drivers  -
> using the BDI) and for application code (using gdbserver).
Yes.

>>      Lauterbach - not (sometime it parsing elf/dwarf correctly,
>>      sometime, usually in critical cases :), not).

> Question: does the Lauterbach reliably handle issues like  relocating
> the symbol table as needed fur U-Boot?
I'm not sure, since I doesn't work with Lb approx. 3 years,
but probably it could.

>>      And you are know, hmm, strange Lauterbach price policy:
>>      price of BDI firmware for a new CPU target is approx. 1000 eur,
>>      for the Lauterbach - price of new device.

> Another pro for the BDI: they have  *excellent*  support.  I  know  a
> couple  of vendors of hardware and tools etc. Some of them are really
> good, but Abatron beats them all.

Don't asking them for a help, since my BDI work as predicted,
so it may be pros also :).

--
Regards,
Andrey Volkov